Glorious / Disgraceful Tuesday 19 June 2018


I simply have to diarize that Thrilling Tuesday (19 June 2018). That Tuesday didn't start anything special. Following one month or so of Christina's unflattering comments on my hairstyle I arranged a meeting with a hairdresser. Here we come - the roller coaster starts accelerating. The hairdresser turned out to be a rock/jazz band singer and I could not stop asking for more details. Is there anywhere a place on Earth, except for New Orleans, where singers recruit their fans by trimming their hair :) ? Anyway, here is one of the videos of  that rock & roll hairdresser Barbarella Blue (like all well-established Kardashian-like stars in USA Barbarella Blue has Instagram too): 


A chatter with Barbarella made me come late to viewing World Cup game at the Botany Lab, Tulane University. Fan W. set up the projector and the live channel before I came. Few colleagues joined us in supporting Poland against Senegal. What a disgraceful game it was for Poland! One deflection off Polish defender and one pass to Senegalese attacker made Polish team lose two goals very quickly and made me want to go around and apologise everyone for their disgraceful performance.

Worse is yet to come. As I reached my office I read this email from local admin guy to our Department furious about teaching labs used to watch the World Cup.

Then, I got a personal email where admin sounded like I was being fired (Fan S. turned out to be way too nice inviting faculties to our unauthorized World Cup Viewing and assigning me with a lead role :) . Admin was right about us leaving door unlocked but I was not happy with the condescending tone of his email. What follows is an email thread filled with apologies and clarifications:

Somewhere in the avalanche of the departmental emails I also got an email from Australia congratulating me on beating 149 applicants in getting a job at the Blue Carbon Lab in Melbourne, Victoria. I could not sleep well the following night. We both couldn't as Christina shared my/our excitement too. June 20 we sleepwalked through. One thing was certain - We needed a good chill-way to celebrate June 21 - our fifth wedding anniversary. We could not find a better chill-way of celebrating our anniversary as with a drink in a roof top pool :)




In the end the admin person offered me 3 years long affiliation with Tulane and as I am packing things up for a trip to Australia I remain listed here among other respected academics:

http://www2.tulane.edu/sse/eebio/faculty-and-staff/emeritus-adjuncts/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Restless Life

Paste.